Tuesday, July 5, 2016

West Indies T20 Champions

Congratulations go out to the victorious West Indies men and women teams on becoming well deserved I.C.C. World T20 champions. The women's victory I am most pleased about. Hopefully this victory would inspire young women cricketers. As for the men their victory sends a message to all, that despite obstacles you face, you can achieve anything that you put your mind to. There were many obstacles, such as the W.I.C.B. reducing salaries of the players, this is one example of the board constantly disrespecting players. The lack of uniforms and printing of them were another. There was even an obstacle in the game itself of having to score 19 runs of the last over to win. You always need your heart to be in great condition to watch West Indies play.

Imagine the W.I.C.B. didn't wish the team good luck in the final, yet The Prime Minister of Grenada, Dr. Keith Mitchell did, that is a travesty and indicates how the players are regarded  by the board. The W.I.C.B. was quick to apologize for W.I. captain Darren Sammy comments, criticizing the board but is yet to congratulate the team, only hinting at disciplinary for Mr. Sammy. I hope Dr. Mitchell and other heads of Caricom get their way and dissolve the W.I.C.B. and put in it's place a organisation that can be accountable to it's stakeholders and who supports the players, which has been lacking.

No comments:

Post a Comment