Tuesday, July 5, 2016

I.C,C. don't have that champion feeling!

I.C.C. , the governing body for cricket is not impressed with the conduct of The West Indies cricket team especially captain Darren Sammy and batsman Marlon Samuels, who were outspoken after their World T20 championship victory. They stated "The board considered the behavior of some of the West Indies players in the immediate aftermath of the final and, unanimously agreed that certain comments and actions were inappropriate, disrespectful and brought the game in disrepute."The I.C.C. Chairman Shashank Manohar emphasized the need to be gracious in defeat and victory as well having respect for the opposition. 

In the case of Mr. Sammy they believed that he shouldn't be airing dirty laundry in public; criticizing his own board, they may even see it as a sign of disrespect. Yes it wasn't the right place; a World Cup T20 final,  to discuss about his grievances concerning the W.I.C.B. but what has behind closed doors meetings/discussions with W.I.P.A. and the W.I.C.B. has succeeded in doing? It only results in empty promises by the W.I.C.B. So Mr. Sammy took an opportunity at the World T20 final, where the whole world is watching to reveal his grievances. We in the Caribbean know what the players are going through, the constant disrespect by the board which has been occurring in the last 20 years. As it relates to Mr. Samuels, I agree that commenting about Shane Warne in the manner he did was not needed. In sport, the media will constantly critique players, it is part of the game. The said players should use it as motivation to prove the doubters wrong, which Marlon Samuels did. As for him taking of his jersey and gesturing to the England dressing room, I see no problem with that, the player in question is showing emotion, so I.C.C. want the player to encase his emotions in a box and not showcase it? In life when we are under-pressure we need an outlet to release our emotions, you see it all the time in other sports. The I.C.C. didn't like Marlon Samuel's altercation with Ben Stoke where he provoked him. I have seen in my 22 years of looking at cricket, similar situations where Australia and England players provoked or sledge players but they are not reprimanded yet Mr. Samuels has. It smells of victimization.

 We all thought after Mr. Sammy proclamation about lack of support from the W.I.C.B. that the I.C.C. would step in on the players' behalf. It is clear after their media release that they don't care about the players welfare but only about the respective cricket boards.

No comments:

Post a Comment