Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Manchester United 2017/18 Season Review




There were a lot of talking points in the just concluded 2017/18 season which included Manchester United fans are not happy about the style of play used by Manager. Jose Mourinho. They believe it is too slow, lethargic and uninspiring. Another critique by the fans is that Mourinho's lack of desire to develop the youth. Evidence of this is how Martial, Shaw and Rashford have struggled under him. In fact mant believe 2 of the 3 may be sold.

Here is my take. First of all Jose Mourinho has improved Manchester United when compared to Louis Van Gaal stint as manager. Mourinho has won 4, ok maybe 3 trophies as Community Shield doesn't really count in his 2 seasons as manager and when you compare last season to this season he has guided the club from 6th to 2nd in the league. In addition they have recorded 7 more wins, 9 less draws, scored 12 more points, scored 14 more goals. That is quite commendable. In terms of the league all I wanted was that Manchester United to compete for the league title. That wasn't accomplished because Manchester City dominated everybody. Winning the league by 19 points. In most seasons Manchester United would have competed for the league title, so maybe I am consoled by that but I am jealous of the brand of entertaining football that Manchester City and Liverpool play when compared to the boring, uninspiring style of play that Manchester United play. I really don't look forward to seeing Manchester United play. I fight through it because I have been a fan since 1998 and will support this great club till my last breath.

Everybody knows that developing and playing youth is a major part of the identity of Manchester United. Mourinho lacks these qualities. Throughout his career, he has always prefer proven older plays who don't need a lot of attention to get the best of them. This is a flaw in his manager style because not every player will respond to tough love, some respond better to an arm around their shoulder. Just look at Klopp & Pep. They are friends to their players. I don't think it is a coincidence that their teams did well this season. I am really concerned that Manchester United could sell Anthony Martial and Luke Shaw who not only need "an arm around their shoulder" but can developed into superstars unlike a player like Fellaini who is the opposite of a Manchester United player. It was beneath Mourinho and a disgrace to beg him to sign a new contract. Don't get his obsession with him. I didn't understand why he signed Alexis Sanchez to replace Anthony Martial who was having a good season. It is a waste of money. The sad thing is that Mourinho will sign older, proven players like Sanchez.

All these problems circulated among Manchester United I blame on the board. They have hired 3 pragmatic managers who play boring uninspiring football. I was all in on Mourinho coming to Manchester United because I knew he is a winner and an all-time great. Maybe I was naive to think that he would adapt to Manchester United. I have asked myself this question. What is more important? Winning trophies or Playing entertaining football? We were spoiled under Sir Alex. It was a tough question to answer but for me it has to be the style of play and I am of the firmed belief that a brand of exciting football will bring silverware. Sir Alex once said famously that as manager of Manchester United you have a duty to entertain. With that being said let me finish by saying Manchester United is bigger than any player and any manager. The fundamentals of this great club must be adhered to.

No comments:

Post a Comment