Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Jose: My Way or The Highway



As I look ahead to today's crucial second leg round of 16 UEFA Champions League game against Sevilla, I want to ask the question if progress is being made? Manchester United are just 4 points off their total points they accumulated last season, with 8 games remaining, added to that they have drawn 10 less games, which was a major complaint among fans, including myself. Jose has also improved the performances of few players like Jesse Lingard who is having his best season with 13 goals in 37 appearances, which is the most he scored in a season, beating easily the 7 goals he mustered in 42 games in 2015/16 season. Phil Jones and Chris Smalling have improved significantly, especially Smalling who was depended on when other centre backs were out with injuries. Anthony Martial is another player who has improved from last season for Manchester United with 11 goals and 10 assists in 38 games from 8 goals and 8 assists in 42 games. I can't forget about the revelation that Scott McTominay has been, entering into the 1st team from the reserves. The proof is there to see that progress is being made.

I have seen many fans criticize the playing style of Manchester United. They have said Jose doesn't play attacking football, he is too defensive and must adapt to the identity of Manchester United, which is to play attacking,entertaining football that the fans want. Many have gone to the extreme that they want him him to be fired because of this. Now I am not of the view that he needs to be removed as manager because Manchester United are getting the results that are needed for him to remain as manager. When I see Manchester City, Liverpool and Tottenham Hotspurs play entertaining, exciting football, I questioned why can't Manchester United play like them, especially the runaway leaders Manchester City who seems to score without much effort. I believe many fans think like this but once the team keep getting positive results we have to support the manager because I can't see him changing. Jose has a balanced approach to football; such approach has made him very successful. I myself have gotten used to games like Liverpool, where after scoring 2 goals his team dropped back and try to contain the opposition until the final whistle. We must all adapt to him. The question is, whether you prefer results over performance. I know there are some fans believe in the latter, but for me I want to see Manchester United to win the Premier league, UEFA Champions League. I am of the firm belief that can be achieved under Jose Mourinho, he is still the Special One.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment